Monday, January 24, 2011

The Language OF the client: infinite value FOR the client

As some of you may know, over the last 6 months, I have partnered with several Microsoft employees to create a new publication, addressing topics that concern visual storytelling. From a graphic designer’s perspective, this is often called “information graphics,” “data visualization,” or simply “infographics.”

But it’s more than that.

One of my collaborative authors had inspired my design thinking by showing me how a designer had essentially turned his professional resumé into a series of infographics arranged on a single page.

I set out with a mission: create a unique visual depiction and experience for potential clients and customers, showing them a different way to see what I have done, as well as what I might do for them.

I believe that last bit was the more important part.

I set out to create something that was essentially in the language of my audience. In this case, I was creating an infographic that would cater to others needing infographics. I was putting the content into a form that was palatable for the intended audience, and I was also searching for a new way to show the value I could bring to the client.

ARGHHH... after getting some lackluster feedback on my first draft, 
I started over.

I’ve decided I have little interest in strictly laying out all the work I have done. Honestly, I don’t think many clients even care about that. What they are probably looking for—first and foremost—is what value you would bring to their company or project, and spoken in an organizational language that they can easily understand.

As I ihave gained more and more experience in design, I have started to realize that ultimately it’s less and less about what I have done, and more and more about what I can do for the client: in their language.

When you are not a “designer” per se, customizing the resumé is probably the best way to do this.

That said, regardless of your individual profession and whether you are turning your resumé into a dandy ‘ol infographic, I challenge you to think about it by asking: What value do you bring (or wish to bring) to your intended clients, and is it being stated in a language they can easily understand?

In some circles, a form of this is called the “elevator pitch.” It’s a 1-2 sentence summary that gives you AND the client the clarity that can be expanded upon when needed: it also invites discussion. This is not dissimilar to how an infographic gives you something to “talk to,” and before you know it, you have a great interview!

In the end, you focus on using the language of the client (understanding how they think to get through to them) and the value of your abilities (understanding and connecting you with what they need).

It may sound simple, but after years of this kind of work, I still find it is healthy to remind myself of this everyday.

m

P.S. Anyone who may want to see the infographic is welcome to email me about it.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment