Sunday, February 13, 2011

Flexibility

There is no way to know that you’ve got it. So it’s a poor strategy to assume it, because if you assume that you have the ultimate then you won’t look for anything else, and therefore it will tend to trap you.”
~David Bohm

Happy Valentines Day folks!

I am actually posting a few hours before Monday starts this week, as I have a busy week ahead of me.

I have a new client first thing in the morning, as well as a speaking engagement at “TechReady12” later in the week, in front of various Microsoft folks, along with my fellow book authors. We’re looking forward to a grand time.

That said, my brief reflection this week revolves around keeping your mind open and flexible.

Over the last few days, I continue to struggle with something that might be considered a little seasonal affective disorder (SAD). With that in mind, I needed to consider ways to be as proactive as possible—and basically do something about it.

There is the mind, there is the body, and then there is the movement, or the action (they are not always the same). For me, happiness starts with the awareness and ability to see and observe, with as little judgment as possible. What’s going on, and how do I feel? Can I make this observation without attaching too much weight, and just take action, in my winter doldrums, to do something about it?

How does anyone find motivation to follow that which they really love?

For me, it involves using all aspects of my mind and body; from exercise, to diet, to thought, thought-patterns, and learning, I am seeing more and more how they are all so intertwined and connected. I think that’s truly fascinating.

When I experience a feeling of disconnection, and I cannot maintain focus, I try not to judge myself, and focus on two things:

  1. Not giving myself a hard time about it (I’m human, and life and learning are a process).
  2. Objectively considering what I might be able to do about it.

My quote above is about being open to the source(s) of knowledge. We’re always learning, and hopefully we’re always improving. I needed to improve today, as the last 24 hours have had me feeling “trapped” and out of sync with myself. What seems to have saved me this time was a good evening run, to cultivate the creation of endorphins in my body.

The next time you are not quite “feeling like yourself,” think about ways you might cultivate a new point of view. Is it reading a new book or magazine? Trying a new dish at your favorite restaurant, or in your kitchen? Talking to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while, or even someone who has challenged you in the past? Or heck, maybe it’s adding a few extra mile in your running routine, or trying some new form of exercise.
These things are all inextricably connected, and progress or stagnation in one area may ultimately have an impact on others. 

The key is:

  1. Looking for leverage points for change (are you feeling a sense of resistance in one area or more, where it might even feel like a small war being fought around something that’s just not working for you). Chances are, if you are feeling resistance to something, there is some learning and room for change there that might benefit you. 
  2. And perhaps more importantly, simply being open to trying things.

David Bohn writes about “Thought as a System,” and I challenge you to think about how various processes are all connected. I also quoted Sting in my last post, and will quote him again, ending with this:

“If you have an inflexible mind, your body is not flexible either.”
Be well, and know I will run with you anytime—it’s an invitation—whatever form of mind or body exercise may work for you-

m

No comments:

Post a Comment