Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Static on Your Frequency

Holy COW!

June is here… summer came… directly from winter. It’s a springtime revolt, and I am feeling truly a part of the northwest madness known as summer sanity!

ANYWAY…
Thanks as always for reading.

An interesting musical reflection this week:
So just the other day I was headed out for a run (no surprise) headphones strapped on, iPhone in tow, and I was listening away to some great ‘motivational’ running music.

As I settled in to my “70s classic rock mix,” The song “Kashimir” by Led Zeppelin started playing, after a nice sampling of The Who, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Supertramp—oh how I miss the classics!

And then… yes, some “transcendent” observations started to happen… yes, I know… AGAIN!

I was like, “wait a minute, what’s that I hear in the background? A synthesizer? A trombone? A sax?” Well, when you wear headphones, you hear all kinds of things in the stereo mix that would never come to the forefront of the music, unless you really listened for it. I heard something low in the mix, almost undetectable, but now, suddenly revealed—naked in the cacophony of sounds known as Zepp.

When we take a moment to really “hear,” do we find what is really there, or only what we are looking for?
This whole thought got me thinking about the ‘nasty’ FM adaptor I am using to get my iPod or iPhone usable in my car… apparently in 2006 Toyota was not making USB adaptors, so that the digital signal of my iPhone would truly be ‘pure.’

Arghhhhhhhhh
The point IS, I will often hear radio static in the pure signal pumped out by my iTunes play list. And to really break it down, there’s always some kind of static in there, depending on how hard we listen.

It’s part of the mix.
I’ll go a step further… at some level; it is a part of who we are.
The static in your frequency can sometimes be an annoying part of life, like my iPhone adaptor, or a brilliant addition to your life, like the buoyant “horn” of the Zeppelin song. The key is knowing it’s there and accepting it as part of you. It seems like that is what creates ALL of you.

If you have an awareness of the whole picture, you can even appreciate and accept yourself much better. Then you can “get on with it,” and enjoy life with some kind of objectivity.

Knowing the static that exists under your fingertips, and the power you wield, allows you the honest transparency of knowing what you bring to the table—others can only grant that as authentic.

Take a few moments here and there, in your own private space to consider everything that might be a part of you. Your strengths, your weaknesses, your beauty, your flaws… it’s all there, no matter what you do. No matter where you go or what you do, you’re still there… and there you are again.

You can change whenever you want, but it’s virtually worthless if you don’t have a starting point.

True genius, beauty, authenticity and the seeds of creativity lie in the confidence of knowing what you bring to the table (the starting point) and the strength to pursue what you contribute, and where it might go… with a vengeance. You’re the subtlety that lies in the whole picture.

Just listen for the static.

Have a good week!

m

No comments:

Post a Comment